Welcome to the dystopian future of 2009!
The Fantastic Mr. Wheatley dropped this gem in the comments section of Pecanne Log the other day. Christa didn’t do anything with it, so I figure it’s fair game – Yoink!
Its a clip from the 1992 movie Freejack, showing a chase through a futuristic “Manhattan,” set in the distant year 2009. 2009 Manhattan looks a lot like early 90’s Downtown Atlanta:
While the script is the real star of that clip, among the Atlanta landmarks I can recognize:
- The Courtland Street section of Georgia State University, including what is now the Bookstore and Alumni Hall (the old Municipal Auditorium)
- The Civic Center MARTA station and the area that is now Ivan Allen Plaza – notice the ugly federal office building
- Five Points – including the Jetsons-esque building that is now the Five Points Plaza building and the HUD offices
- The Rich’s addition on MLK and Spring Street, right by the entrance to the viaduct and the MLK federal building
- underneath the viaduct – I highly recommend walking around under here at least once in your life. It is a little surreal.
- The area around the State Capitol, including the judiciary building.
I actually vaguely remember when this was being filmed in Atlanta. I was 10 when it came out, so all I remember is folks going “that was shot here”. For a long time I confused it with New Jack City, since I was too young to see either of them. It’s a shame, because this looks like some grade A acting on display.